Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

J's Cowl

Remember I told you that I found an interesting cowl pattern on Ravelry.com...I started it this weekend (so now I have two projects on the needles -- the infamous sweater and this cowl). I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this cowl pattern - it is knitting up beautifully with a rich and luscious "Cinnamon" Lion Brand Alpine Wool...gorgeous color! This pattern is deceivingly simple to knit and the result is a posh and practical garment. Look at those beautiful stitches!

This is called the "Cowl'd and Frosty" cowl and the link from Ravelry is to kellywithoutanet blog.

Yarn: 1 skein of Malabrigo Chunky (approximately 104 yards) or similar weight wool
Needles: 6 mm, 16 inch circular (I used 5mm and casted on more stitches). Notions: stitch marker or contrasting yarn (or the tiny rubber bands the orthodontist dispenses - these are also good for making sure the stitches don't fall off the needles between knitting sessions), a blunt head darning needle

Gauge: Gauge is not essential to this pattern, but my gauge was 14 stitches to 4 inches.
Finished Measurements: Approximately 9 inches by 9 inches.

Loosely CO 61 stitches.
Join in the round, being careful not to twist.
Row 1: K1, *(P1, K1) Repeat from * around.
Row 2: P1, *(K1, P1) Repeat from * around.
Row 3: Repeat Row 1.
Row 4: Repeat Row 2.
Row 5-15: Knit.

Repeat Rows 1-15 twice.

Repeat Rows 1-4. Loosely bind off. Weave in loose ends. Blocking not required.


I found my counter...just in time because I did not want to muddle the pattern by miscounting a row. I've been using a pencil and paper...ticking each time I started a row -- I felt like a Timex watch.

I can't wait to bundle up with this lovely piece. Will post a photo of the finished cowl...I need more yarn!

No comments: