Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

How Now Brown Cowl

A co-worker was sporting this beautiful knitted tube around her neck the other day…upon further inspection, it was simply a wide scarf, knitted on regular needles, that was sewn together. So, I asked for the source of the pattern…she said ”I made it up.” I said, “do share!” So here it is!

But....before I share, I was curious about the origin of the term "cowl neck" so I did some sleuthing. A cowl a hooded garment, typically worn by monks. A cowl neck is defined as the part of a garment that is draped to resemble a cowl or hood. This scarf can be worn either way...beautifully draped around the neck or as a bonnet (don't you just love that word, bonnet...when I bought my Mini Cooper that's what they called the hood -- so you see most language is associated somehow!).

Oh yes, the pattern.

Cowl Scarf

Begin by casting on 30 stitches on size 13 needles using a bulky yarn.

1. Knit 6 rows in garter stitch. Incorporate a “fun fur” yarn on rows 3 and 4 to give the piece a little more interest...only if you'd like, don’t mean to sound all bossy! If you do incorporate a second, cut it off at the end of the 4th row and weave the tail into the scarf.

2. Row 7 – knit in garter but wrap TWICE and bring each stitch through – you will have 60 stitches on the needles.

3. Row 8 – knit in garter but pick up only ONE of the wrapped stitches – back to 30 stitches on the needles. This will give a scarf a lovely fallen stitch pattern.

4. Knit 5 more rows of garter (this is repeating step 1 above).

5. Repeat the pattern until the piece measures 30-36” depending on how fitted or loose you’d like your scarf. Sew the ends together using a blunt head needle.


Very simple and elegant. A great way to dress up a plain sweater! I found another great cowl pattern on Ravelry.com that uses circular needles...it looks like it will knit up quickly so I will be casting on!

No comments: