1. Preheat oven to 275° (not a typo...really 275°).
2. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan (I opted to make a layer version because I like frosting).
3. In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
5. In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
6. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
7. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
8. Stir in banana mixture.
9. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
10. Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist. Note: I was very suspicious of this step but dutifully complied.
11. For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
12. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
13. Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
14. Spread on cooled cake (daughter frosted the cake for me and did an outstanding job, don't you think?).
15. Sprinkle chopped walnuts over top of the frosting, if desired (I did not add the nuts)
I am happy to report that the self-proclaimed title of “The Best Ever Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting” is indeed well deserved. I used less sugar and more bananas than the recipe called for and the freezer trick really (amazingly) works…this cake is dense, but very moist. I will have to try it for other cakes and report my findings.
For dinner last night we had Chicken Marsala, Barley Risotto with Peas, Caesar Salad, wine, and, of course, for dessert, we had the “The Best Ever Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.” My Tuesday evening companions LOVED the cake and I gave them each a piece to enjoy later at home. I will miss them next Tuesday, but will be anxious to hear about their trip…..maybe we’ll smoke some cigars!
I post the complete cake recipe on the “Recipes” page. Enjoy