Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Strawberry Shortcakes

Sometimes inspiration comes from the strangest sources.  

Like when I’m on the plane coming back from Hawaii (because it’s not like I had anything else to do for 10 hours) and while browsing through the complimentary in-flight USAirways Magazine (see, some things are still free) I see this recipe for individual strawberry shortcakes.

So, I ripped the page out and decided to make them the next time my assignment was dessert…which was last week but I’m posting the recipe this week because I forgot to take photos of the dinner I made this week.   Spaghetti and meatballs but you can read about that here in a previous post.

I had to (once again) borrow sugar from my neighbor who also shared her simple but sensible secret for sweetening homemade whipped cream…or as youngest daughter used to call it “whooped cream.” She also used to say that we lived in “Baltimorrow” and we used to go out to eat in “Resternauts.” Anyway, back to the point, my neighbor uses confectioners sugar to sweeten homemade whipped cream…it dissolves more evenly and nicely.

I am writing sugar on my grocery list now.

Individual Strawberry Shortcakes

For the strawberries
2 pints of strawberries
3 Tablespoons of sugar
2 Tablespoons of lemon juice

For the Biscuits
(I used the recipe on the back of the Bisquick box)
1 cup of Bisquick
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup of fat-free milk
Few drops of vanilla extract (my addition)

For the Whipped Cream
1 cup of heavy cream
1 Tablespoon of confectioner’s sugar

Heat the oven to 425°.

Slice the tops off and quarter the strawberries.  Place berries in a bowl and sprinkle with sugar and lemon juice.  Stir gently and let stand until a light syrup forms, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, stir Bisquick, sugar, milk and vanilla until soft dough forms.  Drop 4 spoonfuls on to an cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

While the biscuits are baking, add the confectioner’s sugar to the cream and whip into soft peaks.

When the biscuits are done, let them cool a bit and assemble the shortcakes by slicing the biscuits in half, add some strawberries, place the lid back on, top with whipped cream and more strawberries and syrup and serve!

1 comment:

Shanley said...

Strawberries are my favorite fruit, and so good for summer! I'll have to try this.