Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Lemon Chicken with Potatoes, Rosemary & Olives

Daughter needed a new Spanish-English dictionary not because her old one is unexpectedly useless but because it somehow found a new home. 

So, she asked “now that the Borders is closed, where do we go to buy books?”  I answered that “there is a not as conveniently located Barnes & Noble about five miles away.” 

And off we went.  

I share this exchange because it is reassuring that others believe, as I do, that all the technology in the world will never replace the smell and vibe of a bookstore.   

Not that I don’t like technology.  You are, after all, reading this blog.
 
So she acquired a new dictionary, and as much as I tried to resist, temptation devoured me and I acquired a new cookbook for $7.98 called Simple Suppers, available in the bargain book section.  The back touts that the book “is invaluable, providing great straightforward recipes suitable for any occasion, whether it’s a simple speedy supper or a delicious meal suitable to entertain friends.”  Well that would be me…..on Wednesday night.

So, I’m flipping through the book – that has a picture of each recipe – and I pause at page 166 eyeballing a chicken recipe keeping in mind that it was my turn to cook this week.  I always fret plan days in advance when it’s my turn to cook.

The ingredients are pretty basic and there are only three steps in the preparation process…this is looking promising.

I decide to make this dish from the newest in my now overwhelming collection of cookbooks.

Lemon Chicken with Potatoes, Rosemary & Olives

Ingredients
8 skinless, bones chicken thighs
1 large lemon
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, peeled and sliced thin
A bunch of rosemary
6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces (I used Yukon Gold)
Salt and pepper
1 jar of pitted Kalamata olives

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400° Place the chicken in a shallow baking dish large enough to hold all of the ingredients.  Zest the lemon rind onto the chicken and squeeze the juice of the lemon over the chicken.  Toss to coat and let sit in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, cook the potatoes for 5-7 minutes in salted water, drain and put aside.

After 10 minutes, add the olive oil, garlic, onions and half of the rosemary sprigs to the chicken mixture.  Toss gently and refrigerate for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes, add the potatoes to the chicken mixture and toss gently.  Roast the potato and chicken mixture in the oven for 45 minutes. Replace the rosemary sprigs with fresh rosemary, add the olives and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Garnish with fresh rosemary…I forgot this step.

This dish, accompanied by roasted asparagus, was simple, but delicious.  We also had an arugula salad served in the lovely traveling salad bowl and a delicious Malbec from Argentina.  For dessert, we had fruit cobbler with vanilla ice cream fresh whipped cream.

Foodie, once again, came to my rescue and assisted with a knitting problem.  Hopefully, I'll have some significant progress to share on my current project this weekend.

No comments: