Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Fig Pancakes with Whipped Cream and Hazelnuts

As I told my dear readers in the “Knitted Shrug” post, I planned to attend the Rittenhouse Art Show with sister and best friend this past weekend.  What I didn’t plan on was a marathon blocking Benjamin Franklin Parkway and the surrounding northbound streets from 22nd Street through 4th Street for several hours. 

Needless to say, I was annoyed.  And late.  And hungry.

And I am a very cranky hungry person.  Ask sister and best friend….and former husband…which may help to explain the adjective.

The plan was to meet for breakfast before the art show and even though the meal could officially be classified as brunch by the time we ate, it was well worth the wait. 

We ate at a kitschy little diner at 4th and Spring Garden Streets called Silk City.  I ordered the Fig and Hazelnut Pancake special and let me say – without reservation – that these were the tastiest pancakes I’ve ever had.  The crunch and rich flavor of the hazelnuts blend so nicely with the sweetness of the figs and the smoothieness of the whipped cream.  My good mood was instantly restored, which sister and best friend totally appreciated.

Figs grow on trees and are a member of the mulberry family.  They are a cute little fruit, that, when sliced, reveal a colorful and luscious flesh.   Figs are versatile – used in both savory and sweet dishes – and are a good source of potassium, a mineral that helps to control blood pressure.  Figs are also a good source of dietary fiber, an important supplement for maintaining a healthy weight.

Since I did not leave the restaurant with a recipe (I usually ask, but I must have been so content that I forgot), the one offered below is cobbled together from a few I found on-line in an attempt to replicate the tastes.

Fig Pancakes with Whipped Cream and Hazelnuts

Ingredients

6-8 fresh figs, sliced lengthwise
2 eggs
1 ½ cup milk
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon maple extract (or you can use vanilla)
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
(you can use 1 cup of either but I like to mix flours)
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
1 smidge cinnamon (I define a smidge as a bit more than a pinch)
½  teaspoon nutmeg
Whipped cream
Maple syrup

Directions

In large mixing bowl stir together the flours, salt, half the nuts, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a separate bowl combine together eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Add the liquid mixture to dry ingredients and stir to blend. Pour the batter onto a hot griddle forming each pancake and top each pancake with a few sliced figs.  Cook until the batter is brown around the edges and the bubbles stop bubbling. Turn to brown the other side. Serve hot topped with whipped cream, maple syrup and the remaining hazelnuts OR with some fig jam….yum.

I really didn’t like these pancakes…can you tell?

We finally made it to the Art Show and I bought this delightful painted etching miniature by NYC artist, John Dorish.   Such a sweet little piece.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Wow! These sound delicious. I have a fig tree so I'm always interested in recipes that use fresh figs.
Mimi