Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Word Up!

So, I’m driving home from work the other day and I hear a story on NPR about dictionary words previously a part of our active lexicon that are being eliminated and/or replaced to make room for new words like bromace (the boy version of BFF), chillax (calm down), stacation (staying home for vacation), frenemy (a friend who should be an enemy…be careful), and, of course, blog (you know what this is). So I visited the site - Save The Words - and I was quite amused! Upon entering, there is a billboard of nearly extinct words and as you mouse over these little gems, you hear little shout outs from the nerdy hopefuls like “over here, yo, pick me, hello!, and yes-yes-me.” Very cute....and effective!

This is how it works…you “adopt” a word and promise to use this word at least once a day…I chose PAMPHAGOUS which “means eating or consuming everything” (I thought that a word about food would be appropriate). I think I’ll buy the tee-shirt they offered me. A fun way to keep fancy words alive.

Well, we were pamphagous eaters indeed on Tuesday evening because we ate every last bit of the Pumpkin Gnocchi with Sage Cream Sauce I served!

Sage Cream Sauce
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup finely chopped white onion
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage (fresh only, do not used dried)
3/4 cup dry white wine
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
Pinch of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat; add onion and sage to skillet. Sauté about 30 seconds. Add wine, cream and seasonings. Increase heat and boil, uncovered, until sauce is reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes. Serve on desired pasta garnished with Parmesan cheese

I also made a roasted pork tenderloin that I maninated in apple juice and rosemary. Except for the basil, my potted herb garden is still going strong, so I was able to clip and use fresh sage and rosemary! Of course, we had a beautiful salad in the lovely traveling salad bowl and for dessert, we had Ginger Chocolate Cookies. The youngsters were there watching Glee.

Where's my holy water?

No comments: