Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Biscuits

Who doesn’t love biscuits? I lump them into the same comfort food category as spaghetti & meatballs, macaroni & cheese and, mashed potatoes & meatloaf (especially Martha Stewart’s recipe…say what you’d like about Ms. Martha, but girlfriend can 1. cook, and 2. make handy items out of everyday objects and, just for the record who else can go to jail for securities fraud and emerge even more of a domestic diva and affluent than before..I'm just saying). Martha is one of my idols (not because of the fraud stuff)…Jackie Kennedy is another…love the pearls.

I digress.

Anyway, I came across a recipe for Cheddar Rosemary Biscuits that was calling my name but, being a rebellious sort, I naturally had to add my own twist. Not wanting to get too adventurous the first time I tried this recipe (I really wanted to add another cheese and red pepper flakes) I added only one additional ingredient – sage.


Biscuits are very easy to make and I offer a photo tutorial below. The original recipe is from allrecipes.com:

1. Gather all ingredients: Bisquick, cheddar cheese, 1 tablespoon each of rosemary and sage (both chopped -- btw, the herbs are from my garden), sour cream, Dijon mustard, milk.
2. Mix together Bisquick cheese and herbs.

3. In a separate bowl, mix sour cream, mustard and milk and mix the wet ingredients with the dry. The dough will be a “playdough” consistency

4. Drop dough into 2” balls, brush with a beaten egg
5. Bake for 15 minutes at 425°
6. Serve warm.

On Tuesday night, we had dinner at the foodie’s house and she served the moistest grilled chicken breasts marinated in mango, rum and lime juice, baked asparagus, and mixed greens/orange/pine nut salad. We also enjoyed the herb biscuits and wine – a beautifully presented and wonderful Italian Raboso, Italo Cescon... "Ruby red color with streaks of purple. Aroma is rich and complex, youthfully fruity...combined with nuances of spices and vanilla." This is a red grape variety from Northern Italy. We had a delightful evening sitting on her deck, enjoying a wonderful meal, drinking our wine and listening to the sounds of nature (the architect said she felt like she was in a rain forest).

Wine information is from baccowineandspirit.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I will try to make these biscuits as soon as it isn't 100 degrees in the apartment!
Don't forget the craft fair tomorrow 9-4 in Media...see you there!
-mary