Pages

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sage Cornbread


Sometimes you just get a hankering for something.

And sometimes you realize that it’s a little easier to buy a prepared version of that something and gussy it up to suit the hankering at hand.

I hope I’m not the only one who does this….oh wait, I’m not…there’s someone who makes a lot of money doing this very thing, right?

Take cornbread.  I wanted to bring cornbread to a neighborhood dinner but I wanted a savory version.  Now, I know that cornbread is not difficult to make…I just didn’t have the right ingredients, including baking soda because I gave my baking soda to the kids on the block so they could made a volcano by mixing baking soda with vinegar (no doubt inspired by that fabulous Target commercial).  I am happy to contribute to any cause that encourages kids to use their imaginations. 
 So, I did the lazy efficient thing…I bought a box of Krusteaz Natural Honey Cornbread and glitzed it up with fresh chopped sage from my garden and melted butter instead of vegetable oil.  Next time, I will add more sage, but I've got to tell you….this cornbread was crazy good.  Moist and just the right amount of cornbread crumbliness.
According to Wikipedia, sage has been used since ancient times for many things including increasing fertility in women and healing snakebites.   I have no need for the fertility benefits of the herb, but there was a snake loose in the hood a few weeks ago that caused quite a ruckus!
 

No comments: