Pages

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Homemade Barbecue Sauce


So I wanted to make pulled chicken with the chicken I had in the freezer and I was certain I had a bottle of barbecue sauce in the cupboard.

Maybe not.

I don’t like when that happens.

So, really, REALLY not wanting to make a special trip to the market, I decided to make my own barbeque sauce…how hard could it be?!  A simple search for “homemade barbecue cause” returned several entries and I cobbled together the formula you see below from recipes for Kansas City and St. Louis Barbecue Sauces. The sauce I concocted is a thinner, tangier sauce, perfect for pulled chicken or pork.  

I Don’t Have Any Barbecue Sauce in the Cupboard Barbeque Sauce

Ingredients
2 cups ketchup
½ cup water
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup brown sugar (make this a generous ¼ cup)
2 tablespoons spicy mustard
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon fresh garlic
½ teaspoon cayenne powder
½ teaspoon chili power
A nice squirt of honey

Preparation
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and cook over a low heat. Simmer for 20 minutes, giving it an occasional stir. Allow to cool. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate. This sauce is better after it sits for a day and should be used within a week.

For pulled chicken or pork, use boneless chicken breasts or a pork tenderloin. Throw in some diced up onions, peppers and tomatoes, if desired.  Simmer the meat for a few hours in just enough sauce to cover however much meat you are making.  When the meat is fully cooked and just about to fall apart, shred the meat with two forks. Serve on a bun with a slice of cheddar cheese. YUM.

This has a zip to it!  Great on grilled chicken.

No comments: