Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

I typically eat very healthily, despite the conclusions you may have drawn from reading my blog posts. I exercise every day – except Sunday since it is a mandatory day of rest…it’s a fact, look it up -- and chart my calories in myfitnesspal.com (best app ever).

Every now and then, it's a girl's prerogative to be a little naughty (in a culinary sense that is) so I decided to modify one of my favorite muffin recipes to a more waist-line friendly version.

I don’t know about you, but I think there’s nothing more colorful than fresh fruits and vegetables (maybe flowers, but for purposes of this post, let’s say fruits and vegetables). When I saw pesticide free raspberries from New Jersey in the Co-op, I immediately knew what recipe I was going to reinvent!

Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
Adapted from: joyofbaking.com

1/3 cup of egg whites
1 cup non-fat milk
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups + 2 tablespoons of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup granulated white sugar (I cut it down since I was adding raspberries)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup canola oil
1 pint of fresh raspberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Position rack in center of oven. Butter, or line with paper liners, 12 - 2 3/4 x 1 1/2 inch muffin cups. In a large measuring cup or bowl whisk together the egg whites, milk, and vanilla extract.

In another large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips. With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients, along with the canola oil, into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are just combined. Add the raspberries. Do not over mix the batter or tough muffins will result.

Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter using an ice cream scoop. Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 18 - 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan.  Makes 12 delicious muffins, only 230 calories each!

I am enjoying one with my coffee (that and wine are my guilty pleasures) as I write this post and, you know what, I don’t miss the extra sugar, butter, cream, white flour or whole eggs at all.   The flavors of the deep, dark chocolate and the luciousness of the sweet raspberries just burst in your mouth.... YUM!

No comments: