Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Blueberry Sour Cream Scones

I am back from an amazing week at the beach and despite a hit & run incident that claimed the driver’s side mirror of my NEW car, it was enjoyable, relaxing and, most of all, rejuvenating.

I like to shop at the neighborhood whole foods market, the Co-Op. They carry an amazing variety of pre-prepared and ready to make foods, many of which are not available at the local mega- food markets. One such line is a group of specialty products made by Stonewall Kitchens. Friends Jonathan King and Jim Scott started the company back in 1991 with a jar of jam, selling their concoctions at the local Massachusetts farmers' market. The name “Stonewall Kitchen” was inspired by the historic New England stone walls outside their kitchen window.  Today, Stonewall Kitchen offers a variety of products including jams, chutneys, aiolis, condiments, glazes, and baking mixes. Before I left for the beach, I bought the Blueberry Sour Cream Scone Mix….I was lured by the promise to “Make Mornings Memorable”(I like a challenge) and the enticing photo of a scone sitting along side of a cup of tea and some creamy butter. I don’t mind cooking while I am at the beach, in fact, I prefer it, but I don’t often bake and I thought this would be an easy way to start a mini-tradition.



So on a lazy Sunday morning, I got up, followed the directions on the back of the package and in about 15 minutes I was enjoying a freshly baked scone along with a cup of freshly brewed French Roast coffee. These scones are really delicious and were devoured quite quickly. Next time, I’ll mix in some lemon zest to add a welcome tanginess and maybe some fresh blueberries to produce a plumper, juicer scone.

BTW...my morning was somewhat more memorable but I think it had more to do with being at the beach (one of my favorite places) than the scone. Sorry Stonewall Kitchen dudes.


The morning we left Dewey Beach, we got up extra early to watch the sun rise. Spectacular! A memory indeed!

1 comment:

The Baby Boomer said...

Love blueberry scones and the addition if the lemon zest. Stunning photo as well.