Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake

I was in detox this week.

It’s not what you think.

It’s actually the quick start program of the Flat Belly Diet that I like to do once a year to “cleanse” my system.  During the four Jump Start days, you have to drink at least 2 liters of “Sassy Water” per day which is water infused with ginger, cucumbers , lemon and mint.  The ginger calms and soothes the CI tract, the cucumber and lemon provide fiber and potassium, and the mint adds flavor and color.
The food selection during the four Jump Start days is pretty limited, but my reward for the discipline required to stick with the program is feeling healthier and less bloated.  Armed with this new found svelteness also comes the motivation to trim those extra three or four pounds that, if left unchecked could turn into eight or ten pounds.  After completing the Jump Start, I eagerly anticipate preparing one of the many amazing recipes in the Flat Belly Plan book, like the Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake. 
I put younger daughter on detox as well.

I think she just may pass out on me due to lack of (her ususal) food.
I did not have any whole wheat flour left, so I substituted buckwheat flour, which (I think) made for an even healthier version of this snack.  You might think that buckwheat is a grain…not true; it is a fruit seed related to rhubarb, and does not contain protein glutens, so it is often eaten by those with gluten allergies.  I make pancakes with buckwheat flour and you can read about that here.

 Here is a photo of my cake.
Here is a photo of the cake in the recipe book.  As you can see, the buckwheat flour made for a much darker, much more dense cake.

Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake

1 ¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 eggs (I used an egg white substitute)
½ cup sugar
½ cup low-fat vanilla yogurt (I used FAGE Total Greek Yogurt, plain)
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups shredded zucchini
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided.  I used Scharffen Berger Bittersweet Artisan Baking Chunks.

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat an 11" x 8" baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.

3. Whisk the eggs, sugar, yogurt, oil, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Whisk in the zucchini and 1 ½ cups of the chips. Stir into the flour mixture just until blended. Spread into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

4. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining 1 ½  cups chips over the cake. Spread with a small spatula as they melt to form an icing, placing back into the warm oven, if needed, for about 1 minute.
I tried a little piece…it’s different, but really good.  

Nutrition Info Per Serving (1/12 of cake):  361 Cal, 5 g pro, 47 g carbs, 17 g fat, 4 g fiber, 175 mg sodium


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I was looking for this recipe!