Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Rosemary Shortbread Cookies

Ok, so here’s my idea…..a few months ago, my Foodie cooking companion told me she made Rosemary Shortbread Cookies, and I've been eager to try them ever since. So, using the rosemary from my potted garden, I decided to bake some cookies today (never mind that it was 93° outside). Anyway, I found a nice recipe on Allrecipes.com, so here goes…I will need:

1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
2/3 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons white sugar (to make them fancy afterwards)...I skipped this step.

Between the time I took the picture of the ingredients and I began to make the dough, there was a water main break on my street. What is it with me and external complications when I cook or bake?! I am willing to surrender that the food processor incident was my fault, but I had nothing to do with the water main break…I swear.

Back to cookies…

In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and 2/3 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.

Stir in the flour salt and rosemary until well blended. The dough will be somewhat soft.

Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour....this is important, otherwise the cookie dough will be too soft and it won’t cooperate when you try to roll it out.

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes 1 1/2x2 inches in size…..I think I’ll do circles.

Place cookies on parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the tops.

Preheat the oven to 375° and bake for 8-12 minutes, or until golden at the edges.

Cool on wire racks, and store in an airtight container at room temperature.

These cookies are delicious....wonderfully savory and not too sweet. Great with a cup of tea!

BTW, the water came back on.
BTW Part II, neighbor, from whom I borrowed the blender and to whom I gave some cookies (it's the least I could do), reports that they are yummy!

2 comments:

The Baby Boomer said...

I was lucky enough to get a couple of samples and the cookies were delicious.

KnitOne, PearlOnion said...

Why thank you!