Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Vogue

I thought it would be fun to research vintage knitting patterns, recipes and cooking utensils….so I am on a quest to acquire the same and share my most interesting finds with you.

So, I’ll start with this pattern for an absolutely lovely collar stole from the 1950’s that I found at www.ravelry.com. First of all, don’t you just love that word…stole, it’s so fancy! Today we would use wrap, shawl, or scarf, but, stole just evokes the glitz of a big Hollywood production with glamorous movie stars in their elegant dresses and flawless coifs. Sometimes, I watch those old movies and think it would be fun if Hollywood would make such elaborate productions again, but then I think of all the wonderful animation we enjoy today and I am once again content…

Back to the point.

I am not going to even imply that I will knit this stole (anytime soon)…Lord knows the few inches of rows I call a sweater-in-the-making would organize a mutiny if I dared to even suggest starting another project. To avoid the possibility of physical injury, I will just present the same for other more disciplined knitters to consider as a project.

The Collar Stole
21 inches x 68 inches
Materials Required:
AMERICAN THREAD COMPANY
"DAWN" KNITTING WORSTED
22 oz. Dk. Violet or any color of your choice
1 pr. knitting needles No. 7
Gauge: 9 sts = 1 1/2 inches; 10 rows = 1 1/2 inches
Cast on 123 stitches (sts), work in pattern as follows:
• 1st Row: Knit (K) 3, *Purl (P) 3, K 3, repeat from * across row.
• 2nd Row: K 3, K 3 together (tog), * P 3, K 3 tog, repeat from * across row ending with K 3.
• 3rd Row: * K 3, yarn over (y o), slip (sl) the next st as if to P, repeat from * across row ending with K 3.
• 4th Row: K 3, * insert needle through next st and y o and K 1, y o, K 1 in same st, sl both y o and st off needle (3 sts made), P 3, repeat from * across row, ending last repeat with K 3.
• 5th Row: K 3, * P 3, K 3, Repeat from * across row.
• 6th Row: K 6, P 3, * K 3, P 3, repeat from * across row ending with K 6.
• 7th Row: K 3, P 3, * K 3 tog, P 3, repeat from * across row, ending with K 3.
• 8th Row: K 6, * y o, sl 1, K 3, repeat from * across row ending last repeat with K 6.
• 9th Row: K 3, P 3, * insert needle through next st and y o, K 1, y o, K 1 in same st, drop both y o and st off needle, P 3, repeat from * across row ending with K 3.
• 10th Row: Same as 6th row.
• 11th Row: Same as 5th row.
• Repeat from 2nd through 11th row until stole measures 66 inches from beginning ending with 5th row of pattern, bind off in pattern. Block to measurement.
• Collar: Cast on 141 sts, K 3, * P 3, K 3, repeat from * across row. Repeat from 2nd through 11th row same as on stole 5 times.
• Next 5 rows: K across each row. Bind off. This is outside edge of collar. Fold collar in half and place a pin at inside edge. Fold stole in half and place a pin. Sew collar to stole matching pins.

I think this is a beautiful pattern which is why I chose to post it. If you are an industrious sort and decide to knit this, send me a picture of your finished product and I will post it!

I wanted to make sure I knew what the asterisks in the pattern meant, so I searched and Wikipedia tells me that they indicate a section of the instructions that will be repeated.
For example, with the instruction below:
K2, *P1, K1* repeat 2 times, P1, K2
You will actually be doing this:
K2, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, K2 (the bolded stitches are the ones from inside the asterisks)

No comments: