Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Chicken with Mushrooms, Sautéed Greens and Cheese

The winter of 2015 has been bone-chilling cold in the northeast….I don’t want to say “was bone-chilling cold” for fear I’ll jinx the whole region into another frigid weather pattern!  

Then everyone will be mad at me.  

During my morning walks to the train, I had to double up on gloves quite a few times…. my Irish woolen mittens over my trusty black leather Michael Kors gloves.  And, so glad I now have a collection of fabulous hats!  I love hats but I never really owned any that were snazzy, only functional…then I discovered a millinery style that works for me!  

A vintage type of hat, reminiscent of the the 40-50’s.

Each hat has a story….
This was my first acquisition, bought at an outdoor market in Italy...I think Lucca.

This little felted number was purchased in Ireland…an Aran wool shop.  I love the subtle bow on the side.

When I was in Paris this past November, this Jackie-inspired pillbox whispered “take me home, please” and of course I said okay!

This kubonka number was lovingly made by a friend with furniture fabric samples (very creative), so it’s most treasured.  It's very flattering and I receive many compliments when I wear it...I take great joy in saying it was made by a friend. You can visit her Facebook Page here.

And my most recent addition, bought for 50% off at a little shop in Swarthmore.

There were some beautiful floral bonnets at the Philadelphia Flower Show and this little flapper style was my favorite.

The theme of The Flower Show was “The Movies” and there were nods to several flicks but my favorite exhibit was the “Parent Trap” cabin.  How cool is this….

Hearty food also helped us to survive the winter of our discontent and A. made a delicious dish last week.  Again, this was her own creation and it was totally delicious.  She has a knack for blending flavors that work…amazing.

Chicken with Mushrooms, Sautéed Greens and Cheese
By: A.

Ingredients for Chicken
6-8 Boneless chicken thighs
2 Tablespoons of Herbs de Provence
Salt and pepper
1-2 shallots, sliced
Olive Oil
8 oz sliced mushrooms, any variety will do but the earthy shitake and cremini work nicely
1 Tablespoon of butter
1 Tablespoon flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 heavy cream
Grated fontina, gruyere and parmesan cheese, about 2 cups total
8 oz of Pappardelle
Parsley for garnish

Directions
Season the chicken with salt, pepper and the Herbs de provence. Slice the shallots and sauté in a bit of olive oil. Add boneless chicken thighs and brown on both sides. Remove the shallots and chicken to the baking dish and wipe out the pan. Add a little more olive oil and a tablespoon of butter and sauté the sliced mushrooms until they release their liquid.   When the mixture begins to evaporate, add a tablespoon of flour and cook that for a bit, about 2-3 minutes. Once everything is well distributed, add the chicken broth and the heavy cream, cook until thickened then pour over the chicken. Cover with the grated cheeses and bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

Ingredients for Greens
2 bunches of Swiss chard (any hearty green will work)
Olive Oil
3 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper to taste

Sauté the garlic in the olive oil and when aromatic, add the chard and cook down until tender.

To Assemble
Cook the pappardelle and place in a serving dish and with a few pats of butter.  Spoon the baked chicken mixture on top, sprinkle with parsley and serve.  Serve the greens on the side.   Our host thought about layering the sautéed chard on top of the pappardelle and then the chicken mixture and I think that would been lovely too.

No comments: