Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Orange Zest and Honey Pancakes

I was in Toronto this past week for a conference. It’s a lovely city and, like many American cities, there are many infrastructure improvements underway.  Regardless, the conference and the visit were both incredible experiences.

On my last day in the Queen City — so nicknamed for Queen Victoria — I decided to visit Niagara Falls.  The tour left the hotel at 8:30, but before departing, I wanted to have a hearty breakfast.  

I planned on ordering oatmeal with fruit.

That intention quickly went to hell-in-a-handbasket when I saw this little item on the menu:


The Perfect Stack.  Well then, that sounded like a challenge to me and I HAD to try them to properly judge their assertion.

Now, I've had a love affair with pancakes for a very long time.  Recently, while in Pittsburgh, I had lemon ricotta pancakes, and I always have the buckwheat pancakes from Uncle Bill’s when I visit Ocean City, NJ, so how could I possibly resist at least trying these little discs of promising deliciousness?  They are made with honey and orange zest, and for those of you who know me well and/or regularly read my posts (thank you), I am all about the citrus.  I would prefer a Key Lime or Lemon Meringue Pie over a traditional birthday cake any day, unless the cake is made with some sort of citrus!   

That little smidge you see on the pancake there, on the right….that’s not butter, it’s whipped cream.  Butter or cream, this was seriously the BEST $19 breakfast I ever had; the pancakes were so light, airy and full of that citrusy flavor I adore.  Besides, paying $9 for oatmeal seemed a bit ridiculous to me; $18 if I ordered the mixed berries.

That's my justification for paying $19 for pancakes.

So, being the shy, reserving type that I am, I asked for the recipe but the waiter looked at me like I was nuts.  Therefore, I quickly abandoned my interrogation and decided to search the Internet and found this recipe which I modified slightly.

Orange Zest and Honey Pancakes
Adapted from: www.food.com and The Fairmont York Hotel’s version

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour 
1/4 wheat flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder 
1/4 teaspoon baking soda 
1/8 teaspoon salt 
1 cup plain yogurt (lemon would also be good) 
1/2 cup fresh orange juice 
1 large egg 
1/3 cup honey 
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted 
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract 
Zest of one orange 

Directions
In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  In another bowl, combine the yogurt, orange juice, egg, honey, melted butter, and lemon extract together; blend well.  Incorporate the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and then fold in the orange zest. Prepare a griddle or skillet with butter or a bit of vegetable oil; preheat over medium heat and pour ¼ cup batter onto griddle for each pancake, allowing space for spreading (you could also used a frosting bag).  When the underside of the pancakes are golden and the tops are bubbling, flip with a wide spatula and cook until light brown. Serve immediately with maple syrup, homemade whipped cream and fresh berries.

Note: You will know the griddle is ready when a little water sprinkled onto the skillet bubbles and evaporates quickly.

Later that same day, I decided I could not leave Toronto without having a cup of a cup of coffee from Tim Horton’s, which was founded in the 1960’s in Toronto.  Weaker than Starbucks, but very tasty indeed....I also had a Dutchie, a square, yeast raised doughnut with raisins and a sugary glaze. 

I have since recuperated from the day’s sugar rush.

Here are some photos from Niagara Falls.  These photos are not enhanced....it's a naturally beautiful place!
Canadian Side

United States Side

Flower Clock




1 comment:

The Baby Boomer said...

These look so yummy and the photos are amazing !!!