Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

It’s in the Bag

So, I decide to make a roasted chicken for dinner…I figure a whole chicken will give me plenty of leftovers for a couple of lunches during the week.

Paying $10/day for lunch is just plain crazy.

I had to pick some things up at Target and I’m thinking….”I wish they sold whole chickens here because I really don’t feel like going to the market.” As I’m meandering through the fresh produce/meat/bakery/cheese aisle, I spot a handy-dandy Perdue whole roaster, in a bag, ready for the oven. Hmmm, this might be worth a try for $9.99. Among the touted features:
• Fully seasoned;
• Non-caged chickens fed an all vegetarian diet;
• No hormones or steroids added;
• Oven ready…in its own cooking bag;
• Clean-up is a snap.


The directions say to preheat the oven to 400º and remove the chicken from its outer bag (good thing they made that clear). Place the inner sealed bag in a shallow baking dish and cut a 1” slit in the cooking bag to vent during cooking. Roast for 90 minutes or until a meat thermometer register 180º. Remove the chicken from bag and let it sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Use juices remaining in the bag to make a delicious gravy (the recipe for which is also provided on the back of the bag). Note the special directions on the inner bag say "This side up." Hmmmm...

The nutritional facts: not shocking…the sodium content: fair, most likely from the seasoning ingredients.

Sold…and no additional trip to the market.

REVIEW

This chicken did not get “fight for the crispy part” brown (I expected that because it was baked in a bag), it was, however, very moist and succulent. A bit too salty (for me). The fact that I could stick it in the oven and forget about it for an hour and a half was a major plus.

Overall, this chicken is okay…better cold (believe it or not) so, with the leftovers I'll make a tasty chicken salad with pecans and dried cherries. Maybe some Italian Wedding Soup.

I like my beer-can chicken better!

No comments: