Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Lemon Thyme Shortbread Cookies

To watch the premier of Downton Abbey, Season 3, we are gathering at Foodie's house...in our pajamas!  We’ll sip tea and hot toddies and what is a proper cup of English tea without a sweet little treat to enjoy with it.  So I made Lemon Thyme Shortbread Cookies for everyone to nibble on.

The basic shortbread recipe was contributed by a co-worker for my workplace Cookie Exchange but I gussied it up with Lemon Thyme that is – amazingly – still growing in my herb garden.  Regular thyme will work just as nicely, or rosemary.

Lemon Thyme Shortbread Cookies

Ingredients
 
1 cup of butter (I used Irish butter because Branson, the Irish Driver, now Sybil’s husband, is one of my favorite characters)
2 cups of flour
¾ cup of powdered sugar
½ teaspoon of sea salt
2 Tablespoons of chopped Lemon Thyme

Directions
  • Cream the butter together with the powdered sugar using your hands.
  • Add 1 cup of flour to the butter/sugar mixture and incorporate with your hands.
  • Add the remaining flour, salt, lemon thyme and mix with your hand until a dough ball forms.



 

  • Press the dough into an ungreased pan.  I used my 10x15 Pampered Chef pan.
  • Prick dough with fork throughout.
  • Put the dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
  • Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes.


 

  • As soon as you take the shortbread out of the oven, cut into squares with a sharp knife.
  • Leave in the pan for at least 30-45 minutes before removing with a small spatula.
These are so good!

No comments: