Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Latte Brownies

I love coffee…it’s one of my vices, the others are wine, nice clothing and saying naughty words – a habit inherited from my feisty father that I'm trying to break.  Coffee and wine will remain on the list…a girl needs some indulgences. 

And I need to be properly attired, right?
 
I tell you this because it was my turn to make dessert for our little rendezvous last week and as I was trying to decide on a tasty treat, I see a recipe from kraftrecipes.com for these little morsels: 


Latte brownies.....perfect! It doesn’t get much better than chocolate, coffee, butter and almonds.

I'm delighted that my photo (above left) looks just as inviting as the Kraft photo.  I gussied mine up with coffee beans.  Their version looks a little cakier than mine though...I'll investigare why.

Seattle Latte Brownies
From:  kraftrecipes.com

Ingredients
6 squares  BAKER'S Unsweetened Chocolate
¾ cup  (1-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
¼ cup water
1 Tbsp. instant coffee
1cup granulated sugar
1cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1-1/4 cups flour
½ cup finely chopped PLANTERS Slivered Almonds
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp.  salt
1Tbsp. powdered sugar

Directions
PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Line 9-inch square baking pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan. Grease foil; set aside. Note:  I didn't do this...I just sprayed the pan with PAM.

MICROWAVE chocolate, butter, water and coffee granules in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 min. or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Beat in granulated and brown sugars with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs and vanilla; beat 2 min. Add flour, almonds, cinnamon and salt; beat until well blended. Spread into prepared pan.

BAKE 35 to 40 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with fudgy crumbs. (Do not overbake.) Cool in pan on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Lift brownies from pan onto cutting board, using foil handles. Again, I just cut the brownies right in the pan.  Cut into 20 brownies to serve.

Warning Will Robinson:  These brownies are amazing…so rich and moist with a hint of coffee in each bite.  I served each with scoop of mocha gelato….not that we needed more calories.  I like Kraft recipes because they include the nutrition content with each and they report that a 1x2” latte brownie is about 240 calories with 13g of fat.  But, no worries, dark chocolate and almonds are both good fats!

No comments: